You should not rely on these rudders to maneuver your kayak. You should learn basic paddling and turning skills, like edging, to become a proficient kayaker. Rudders can be very helpful in windy and rough conditions to maintain your desired course. You can find rudders and foot pedals online to piece together your own kit. For this article, we are going to focus on the kayak rudder kit that include all necessary parts (Some may have some recommended accessories.)
Advanced Elements Advancedtrak Kayak Rudder – Shop Now
- Works with AdvancedFrame line of Advanced Elements kayaks.
- Includes adjustable foot pegs w/ control pedals and rigging kit.
- Mounts to stern on “rudder ready” kayaks
- Spectra cord rudder control cables
- All required parts, hardware and instructions included
- Long Pin – Compatible with Perception solo kayaks with molded rubber post hole.
- Short Pin – Compatible with Perception solo kayaks with threaded inserts for rubber mounting block
Wilderness Systems Kayak Rudder Kit – Shop Now
- Almost universal kit for Wilderness Systems solo kayaks
- Kayak needs to have flat rudder mount area about 3″ on the stern.
- Includes rudder, footbraces, and assembly hardware
- Pungo models need a modification piece
Universal Kayak Rudder Kits
Crack of Dawn Kayak Rudder with Mounting Kit – Shop Now
- Fits most major brands.
- Includes all necessary parts, but some suggest small conduit which isn’t included.